Popular Post

Review roundup

1. So my book club chose Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants: A Novel for our latest book, and I loathed it. I can't remember the last time I read a book that was so clearly an assembled collection of plot points and so empty of heartfelt voice and passion. And the plot! It can best be summarized as let's hope two idiots manage to commit adultery together. There's not a hint of suspense in the "suspenseful moments," either, since the first chapter is also basically the last chapter.

2. By comparison, thumbs way up for Richard Sala's The Grave Robber's Daughter. It's sort of like a Twilight Zone episode starring Nancy Drew with a modern sensibility. My only criticism is I tore through it in 15 minutes or so (and promptly added his other books to my wishlist).

3. Finally, I finally finished World of Goo (PC version). It's an absolutely wonderful puzzle/building game. Fun, stylish, constantly surprising, and with just the right level of difficulty.